Friday, August 05, 2005

A room of her own

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." - Virginia Woolf

I have no money, but I now have a room of my own. After a **HEATED** discussion it has been decided that my younger son will move down to the toy room/guest room/ hallway that is adjacent to my stepson's room. Super Boy's current room will become my office.

Right before the baby was born, we had to subdivide the former toy room into a smaller toy room and a bedroom for my stepson to have enough bedrooms. The ages of the kids (boys too close, girls too far apart) pretty much nixed room sharing. (Plus the steps are only here half the time and it's important to us that they don't feel like visitors.) Stepson's room turned out kind of small, and J feels bad about that. He thinks moving super boy's room to just outside his own room would be kind of invading his space. I got mad, because for the love of Christmas, what about my space??? At least the kid has his own room. And J gets to go to work every day, while I never get to be anywhere that's not full of bottles and toys and diapers and laundry.

OK, selfish pout over. I did get my way, after all.

My quarter begins at school in six weeks and I had a very hard time last quarter keeping up with my school stuff. If everyone was up and around I'd use my bedroom, if J was going to bed I would have to use the living room or the computer in the garage. I am just not organized enough to keep up with multiple classes with multiple study areas. Like I told J, it would at the most be three more years, and then one of the boys could move back in.

My bonus motivation is to have a space to store all the crap I hate keeping in the garage, but don't necessarily want the kids playing with, like the carpet cleaner and my photos. But the real motivation is having a space to study, and to keep my files.

I believe having a place where laundry won't get piled up on top of the bills will help me to pay stuff on time, too. And I really want a sewing machine, but have never had a place to sew or even store a sewing machine. Although I know that is going to have to wait until I'm done with schoo,. as I cannot forsee having the time.

My nine year old step-daughter is having a sleepover tomorrow night, then hopefully I can start moving everything around and be relatively set up by Sunday.

I really hope this idea turns out to be as good as I think it is. I have moved my new (vintage) desk four times in the past year trying to make it work.


1 Comments:

Blogger Marti said...

Aw geez, I understand tight quarters/no space for anything/stuff piled on stuff!

Best wishes with getting yourself a little place you can call your own! Hope the kidlets all understand!

Have a great day, stop by anytime, door's always open!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home