Saturday, October 15, 2005

Why.

I never organized all the reasons I am quitting smoking. I think maybe if I write them down, I may be more motivated. Because there is that moment, whilst trying to quit, where I lose it and stop at nothing to get a smoke. In that moment, I can't remember why I am doing this to myself. I must print this out and tape it to my steering wheel.

1. Early death. Not appealing.
2. Chemotherapy, emphysema. Ditto.
3. I hate walking into a room full of people after smoking. I always feel like there is a film of stank on me, or a little cloud surrounding me- a la Pigpen.
4. Brown teeth.
5. Imagining what my physical therapst must think of me while I cough and lose my breath on the treadmill. Going 1 mile an hour.
6. The cough. And the phlegm.
7. When introduced to a new situation, my first thought is "how acceptable will it be for me to go out for a smoke? When will I be able to do that? I wonder if there are any other smokers here."
8. Not being able to go to sleep at night unless I know there is a cigarette waiting for me when I wake up.
9. Coughing during sex. Not a good look, Muriel.
10. I want to work in a doctor's office or clinic when I get out of school. I can't imaging being allowed a smoke break.
11. Constantly worrying if my breath offends.
12. Setting off an asthma attack in the person who was unlucky enough to sit by me after lunch.
13. Most important: my baby's allergies. (we never smoked in the house, but come on: I know the particles stick to me and get tranferred to her.)
14. FLying on an airplane, and praying the connecting airport allows smoking in the bars. (Seattle sucks for this. Pheonix rocks, or did four years ago)
15: Over fifty dollahs a week.
16. That's over $2600 dollahs a year. Double that to include what John was smoking.
17. That's private school tuition for two kids.
18. Or one third of our total debt.
19. Or one kick ass vacation. EVERY YEAR.
20. Being thought of as weak because I can't overcome my own bad habits.

Oh, there are more I am sure. But this is a good start.

While writing this I ate half of a two pound can of Tropical trail mix. But I did not smoke.
Dehydrated pineapples? with salt from the peanuts? and M&M's = best flavor combo ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marti said...

I wish you all the best hon.

I have quit, sometimes for years at a time, but then.....

(she said, then paused to take a drag LOL)

I understand all of the "logical" reasons you stated. If only I could convince my emotional craving for them.

Good luck to you!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Morris said...

It's very easy to quit, think of your child!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

8:49 AM  
Blogger The Accidental Housekeeper said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:53 PM  
Blogger The Accidental Housekeeper said...

Mr. Morris:

It's very easy to tell somebody what they are capable of, reading about one tiny aspect of their life.

By reading your blog, I could surmise it should be really easy for you to be assasinated, think of your narrow-minded view of the world.

While I agree you have every right to give assvice to people who write to you, I'd thank you to keep yourself from spewing your unsolicited commentary at my blog. Walk a mile in my shoes, then tell me what you think.

A.H.

Marti... Thank you sweetie. Remember, it is never to late!! I am suprising myself with my resolve this time.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home