Monday, September 26, 2005

You say it my birthday?

I must be getting older. It's my birthday and I really don't care.
My mom made us dinner and a cake last night...(my favorites) and babysat Saturday night so we could go see a dumb movie (I voted for The Constant Gardener, but was overridden by somebody's desire to see Four Brothers.)

The movie was so dumb that I wanted to leave halfway through but J said (while agreeing it was dumb) if we spent $30 we might as well watch the whole thing. I disagreed, but being a cooperative sort I sat there making exasperated noises and tapping my fingers on the armrest and rolling my eyes until it was over. Then we went to play poker, but there was a poker tourney we were fifteen minutes too late to join (and I did point out that if we had left the dumb movie when I wanted to, we could have joined) so we just got the kids and went home at nine. woohoo

I spend Sunday alternately doing homework and waiting for J to come home from work and then went to my mom's for dinner.

I really feel as though I should be disappointed in the non-climactic nature of this birthday, but I'm not. I guess it's being busy with school and J opening the new store it just really doesn't matter. I do, however plan on filing this away for later use, say when I need a weekend away by myself..."but I didn't even get a birthday present this year.." Ha.

Considering the last few birthdays I've had, it's actually been quite nice.

September 26, 1999... I am at my grandmother's funeral mass. My mom feels bad for me so she sticks a candle in a piece of pie and whispers "Happy Birthday."

September 26, 2000... I am just coming home from the hospital after giving birth to my first child. There are many uninvited guests coming in and out of my house and I spend a good portion of my birthday hiding in my bedroom learning how to breastfeed.

September 26, 2001... I'm working at a new job, having just finished 2 giant family parties for Mason's 1st birthday, in the throes of post-partum depression.

September 26, 2002... I'm trying to keep my new coffee shop above bankruptcy, but J sends me roses.

September 26, 2003... A great birthday weekend away from the kids visiting good friends, but newly pregnant.

September 26, 2004... Having Mason's fourth birthday party, dealing with extreme negativity from my mother who wants me to snap out of my second bout of post-partum depression.

So, 2005, while quiet, is nice enough. ALthough I would enjoy a 2003, minus the pregnancy. Maybe next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marti said...

Sorry I missed it (still suffering through this blasted tooth extraction)

I think in Life's poker hand, "quiet" trumps "funeral" and "post-partum depression", so I'd say you got a pretty decent hand - LOL!

We'll hope for at least two pair next year! LOL

4:57 AM  
Blogger Moveelvr said...

Yes I say it your birthday! We're gonna be in town this weekend...Oct 1 and 2. Perhaps we can hook up!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Happy Late Birthday! My birthday problem is that EVERY year I expect that my loved ones will give me a surprise party. It has never happened. But! Every year on my birthday when I speak with people and they don't say Happy Birthday to me I think, "You dog...you are trying to trick me into beliving you forgot so I will surprised at my party...aren't ya? Aren't ya?" And sadder still. It takes til Midnight EVERY year for me to realize I am not having a surprise party.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home